Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Nitrous on a stock 4.0L

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Gadget@URD 
#1 ·
I've been running a 75shot for awhile on a my completely stock 08 Tacoma. Does anyone have 1st hand experience running a larger shot successfully without having to build up the internals? I'd like to bump up to a 100shot, but before I do I was hoping to hear from others who have pushed the limits of the stock 4.0L.

Most of the NOS threads I see talk about the 3.4L. I'm trying to understand if the 2nd gen motor is as robust.

#2 ·
I have a 2001 Tacoma with a 3.4L 5VZ engine which I know isn't a 4.0 & with my 3.4L I have a 2 stage nitrous system that I can set the delay time between stages & I have it set at .2 seconds between stages & it has a 90 HP wet shot on the first stage and a 73 HP shot on the second stage for a total of 163 HP when both stages are running.

Mad Maxx

#3 ·
Thanks for the reference point Mad Maxx, albeit with the 3.4L. Are you running this 163HP shot with stock internals? Do you retard the timing for that shot?
This gives me a little more confidence 4.0L can handle more than 75HP, but I hope to hear from others with the 4.0L.

#4 ·
The internals are stock for now & I did not retard the timing for that shot & it has a TRD supercharger on it and using 2 stage colder Denso Iridium spark plugs. The 2 stage nitrous system puts less force on the internals of the engine since it's divided into 2 different shots with a delay in between shots & therefore is easier on the engine.

Mad Maxx

#6 ·
I'm currently building a 3.4L engine for drag racing only & it will not be driven on the street. It will have a forged crankshaft with ARP main bolts & chromoly rods with ARP rod bolts & CP forged pistons & the heads will be worked on & have ARP head bolts along with a lot of other modifications.

Mad Maxx

#7 ·
I am sure you could run more if you wanted, it will really come down to octane like with most things power related.

On pump fuel not sure I would run more then 75-100hp wet shot.

Toss some meth injection in there and/or E85/Race gas on the other hand and it should be able to run twice the shot with less stress on the motor in theory..

#8 ·
Tex, are you implying using high octane fuel reduces the likelihood of detonation, which is essentially serving the same
purpose as the timing adjustment? Meaning you don't need to do both, but should be doing one or the other.
I'm new to using nitrous, so I'm in learning mode still.
I've been running Premium on 75 shot without issue, but may need to add some race gas for a safe 100 shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.