Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

New engine opinions

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  3.4v6 
#1 ·
Hey everyone
haven't posted in a while but im back.

originally took the taco to the shop to get the head gaskets replaced, they compression tested before they tore it down and found 5 cylinder were between 80 and 90, and only one was at 170.
Now i dont which route to go with.
1) Have them rebuild the motor with an unknown price and time frame
2) get a reman jasper motor for $7000 installed with 100k warranty
3) get a rebuilt long block from www.theenginedepot.com and have the shop work on it.
http://www.theenginedepot.com/#!toyota/c1kx

any opinions would be appreciated.

thanks

#2 ·
Hey everyone
haven't posted in a while but im back.

originally took the taco to the shop to get the head gaskets replaced, they compression tested before they tore it down and found 5 cylinder were between 80 and 90, and only one was at 170.
Now i dont which route to go with.
1) Have them rebuild the motor with an unknown price and time frame
2) get a reman jasper motor for $7000 installed with 100k warranty
3) get a rebuilt long block from www.theenginedepot.com and have the shop work on it.
http://www.theenginedepot.com/#!toyota/c1kx

any opinions would be appreciated.

thanks

If you have the time & the money, I'd have them rebuild the engine that you have & that way if you are building it for performance & have the money, you can put performance pistons & rod in it when you rebuild it. Because if you buy a rebuilt engine it will have al stock parts in it

Mad Maxx

#3 ·
I'd start by getting the original block inspected to make sure it's fit for rebuilding.

If the original block is good to go, I'd go with either option (1) - especially if you want to do some upgrades or non-standard parts while they're at it.

If the block isn't worth rebuilding I'd go with option (3).

Just my .02 ...

#4 ·
WE've got 3 options and one price. Can you fill in the blanks.
Whatever you're going to do it sounds like someone else is turning the wrench, so I'd want someone's butt to kick from end to end if it doesn't make the warranty.

Jasper engines may be warrantied for 100k, but that warranty (please read it) doesn't cover the install and removal costs. And if they're charging $7k, I'll wager that more than half of that cost isn't motor related.

#5 ·
Come to my neck of the woods. I drove tow truck for a while and have a guy that did most of my customers work. He's inexpensive, quick and the best mechanic around. He does all the work thats needed on my toy. Trust me, its worth bringing it down here rather than paying outrages prices in the bay.

#6 ·
There is only 2 options that I see.

The first and best option unless you plan to go turbo and make over 400whp is to simply get a replacement OEM engine from the junk yard for ~$1000. Toss it in and enjoy. Having been down this road before, OEM > Rebuilt all day, any day.

The second option and good for 400+whp goals is to have the engine built with forged internals. Will cost a few grand but is only remotely worth it if you are going to be making more then 400whp. Otherwise it is a waste of money.

Rebuilt stock engines are a royal pain, they just never match up to even a higher mileage OEM build in my experience. Only real I open an engine is to upgrade it.

#7 ·
Where'd the 400hp goal come from? I thought he just wanted the darn thing to work. And in regard to the 400hp goal - there's another option: SWAP.

Jasper does lots of reman motors. I've owned one and had good luck. I agree that rebuilt motors are usually sub-oem, but that doesn't mean they can't last a long time. There is also the JDM option, but those are a mixed bag too. Probably not as much as a mixed bag as a junkyard motor with unknown history.

Regardless, he's probably paying $3500 for the installation.... That's pretty high, like retail pricing at $120/hr. At that install cost, I don't think you can gamble on a junkyard motor. For $7000 total cost, I'd ask the shop for an end-to-end warranty (including install). That Jasper warranty will not cover install/removal costs. And at $7000, I'd think you could come close to having Toyota do it for you and warranty it.... Likely a 24 month/ 24k warranty end-to-end is actually better than a jasper 100k (motor only) warranty.

#8 ·
Never said that was his goal, was just giving the only options I see and when they apply.

Give me a 150k mile OEM engine over a rebuilt all day. And OEM includes JDM should that be cheaper/easier.

Honestly for $7000 I would just buy an engine hoist and do the work yourself and put the other $5k into mods or another car or heck, the bank.

Barring that being an option shop around, that is way too much to pay for a 10+ year old Tacoma. Before I did that I would sell the truck and buy another for less that that and come out ahead.

I mean you can find tacos for well under $5k now days in good condition.

#9 · (Edited)
$7k is pretty high... But a 4-door 4x4 tacoma still goes for good money around here.

I think personally I'd shop... I'd call a few places or find out who is recommended and see what it's going to cost you all-in and review the associated warranty carefully.

The 3.4 is a common swap in the 4x4 community for the 3.0 trucks and some of the earlier 22re trucks. There are people that know that motor and know toyota, especially if you're in a major metro area.

Personally, I'd do a Jasper reman at the right price. I'd also do a JDM, if I was comfortable with the sourcing and initial testing of that motor (full leak down/pull the valve covers and pan). $7000 is too high without a long term "cover everything" warranty by a shop with a solid reputation.

Toyota OEM does make good stuff, but there is risk in junkyard motors.

#10 ·
Hey Everyone thanks for your replies and your input

I have thought about it and have decided the best thing to do is to sell the truck. I bought this truck new in 2001 and has been boosted at 9 psi since 2003 and now has 190,000 miles !!! It's been a good run driving this thing but I will be back in a new toyota truck hopefully soon.

Also just to clear things up:
The shop that was going to do the work is Toy Auto Clinic in Redwood City
They quoted me $7000 for the jasper motor INSTALLED with the 100,000 mile warranty. One of the mechanics also told me then nothing will ever come close to an OEM motor because they are just that good.

bad thing is i just bought a bunch of parts that are now for sale...
DT headers, MLS gasket kit from LC Engineering, ARP studs, OE headbolts, mgnaflow CA cat, URD idler pulley , timing belt kit ...

Thanks !!

#11 ·
Hey Everyone thanks for your replies and your input

I have thought about it and have decided the best thing to do is to sell the truck. I bought this truck new in 2001 and has been boosted at 9 psi since 2003 and now has 190,000 miles !!! It's been a good run driving this thing but I will be back in a new toyota truck hopefully soon.

Also just to clear things up:
The shop that was going to do the work is Toy Auto Clinic in Redwood City
They quoted me $7000 for the jasper motor INSTALLED with the 100,000 mile warranty. One of the mechanics also told me then nothing will ever come close to an OEM motor because they are just that good.

bad thing is i just bought a bunch of parts that are now for sale...
DT headers, MLS gasket kit from LC Engineering, ARP studs, OE headbolts, mgnaflow CA cat, URD idler pulley , timing belt kit ...

Thanks !!
Let us know what you get & what it cost you & I'm sure it will be more than 5K for some junk.

Mad Maxx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.