Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Turbo -vs- Supercharger

12K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  34477 
#1 ·
what was everyone's opinion on turbo or supercharged 2rz motors? I have a 1999 extended cab 8 port 2rz automatic. I've been looking at the LCEngineering website and am now kinda undecided. I know the auto trans robs a lot of power to begin with, but my main question is what's going to be some what user friendly (this will be the first time messing with either) and some adjustability, and any other thoughts. thanx

#8 ·
Last? Meaning my transmission? Anything specific about the upgrade? ie brand or size?

I don't have an automatic, so I don't have first hand experience, but if you do a search on the subject you will find it highly recommended to beef up the tranny before throwing more power at it. Most people get parts from IPT. If you give them a call I'm sure they will help you out. http://www.importperformancetrans.com/index.shtml

#4 ·
Turbo > Supercharger, all day, everyday.

Properly sized a turbo will have virtually no lag, it is cheaper and will make WAY more power.

I did the supercharger thing a few times, Only way I would do it again is a full on blower like you see on top fuel cars.

Otherwise it is turbo for me here on out. Modern turbo tech makes turbo lag almost a thing of the past unless you want really big numbers.

#5 · (Edited)
Many cars/trucks came (and still come) supercharged from factory.

Many GM... including Corvette.
Many Ford... including Mustang.
Cadillac
Chrysler
Mercedes/AMG
McLaren
Audi/Volks
Jaguar
Mini Cooper S and JCW (BMW)
Land Rover
Lotus
Aston Martin
Toyota
Nissan
Mazda
Etc..

It's true that a turbo makes more power and has more potential than a supercharger. As a mechanic; I drove many cars in that list... aftermarket supercharged cars/trucks... and much more turbo cars. And I usually prefer the instant power and linear curve from a supercharged engine, than a ''laggy'' and ''brutal'' kick from a turbo (for the SAME POWER LEVEL!). Anyway, I love both! :) But there is more than one type of supercharger... and I would choose a turbo over a centrifugal supercharger for sure.

This is an eternal debate, but I found a writing that covers well this question.

Click the link:

http://rallyways.com/165/supercharger-vs-turbo-charger-two-main-types-forced-induction-for-cars/

#6 ·
There are just as many or more turbo cars from the factory as well, in fact quite a few more now days as all the manufactures are going turbo now days. For the simple reason that they work better at providing more power and better MPG.

I personally prefer the turbo powerband myself, supercharged powerbands are so boring IMO. Same reason I moved from American V8's to imports. The big V8 has power but it is oh so boring to drive.

I much prefer a powerband that builds to just before redline before leveling off to let you know it is time to shift.

#9 ·
Turbo lag is the time delay of boost response after the throttle is opened when operating above the boost threshold engine speed. Turbo lag is determined by many factors, including turbo size relative to engine size, the state of tuning of the engine, the inertia of the turbo's rotating group, turbine efficiency, intake plumbing losses, exhaust backpressure, etc. All turbos have lag & the larger the turbo the more lag that you have & the smaller turbo & less power the less lag that you have.

#11 ·
Here is a great example of turbo lag. It is overly extreme but you can see the time from when full throttle is applied to when the turbo starts to respond to it. The throttle valve is near the oil tank. For drag racing there are tricks that are done to pre spool the turbo while sitting on the start line so the vehicle can leave the line at near full boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGwxkGB8NjY

#12 ·
Here is a great example of turbo lag. It is overly extreme but you can see the time from when full throttle is applied to when the turbo starts to respond to it. The throttle valve is near the oil tank. For drag racing there are tricks that are done to pre spool the turbo while sitting on the start line so the vehicle can leave the line at near full boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGwxkGB8NjY
A VERY extreme example indeed. Properly matched with sub ~500whp and a turbo can spool darn near instant when above the boost threshold.

Take my last mr2 build for example. It has a ~500whp turbo (not even the latest and greatest) and anything over ~3500rpm and boost was darn near instant. So much so that it would light the tires up in 2nd gear while rolling and even 3rd gear on a cold day.

These engines have more displacement so it would spool even faster as well.

Here is an example of a properly matched turbo spool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5U7CQ0-6aQ

Less then a second to full boost and from a low RPM and less displacement as well.

That is a 500whp+ turbo as well.

#16 · (Edited)
The video with the MazdaSpeed is an exemple of a powerband that I don't like. The power seems OK, not more... then at about 4,000 rpm the real power kicks brutally. It's cool on the highway, but city driving may become frustrating.

On the other side, your MR2 seems funny to drive Ace. I love the driving feeling of those go-karts. :)

#18 ·
Then turbo all the way. Your an auto right? An auto has ZERO issues with lag as a properly stalled converter will ensure you are always above the boost threshold. Stomp the gas and you are gone.

Even manual a turbo is what you want.

#19 ·
Thanx everyone for your input. It was a lot more pro turbo than i thought and thanx Rambo for that link. It really explained a lot of the basic differesnce to me. I'm gonna talk with one of the guys from LCE about their set ups for both andd go from there.

#21 ·
My '98 2RZ auto is turbocharged. The right size turbo is important. I run a Borg Warner 48mm T3 turbo. The truck spools up at 1800rpm so there is no lag at all. And it sounds like you want exactly what I wanted, the ability to merge onto the highway effortlessly and pass without downshifting. I can tell you the turbo has transformed my slow little 4cyl auto truck. I love it

You can PM me with questions if you like, my truck has megasquirt III as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.