Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

aluminum flywheel

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  uid_0 
#1 ·
I was wondering how much power an aluminum flywheel will free up on the 5vz? EL sells them for 515, but would it be worth the cost? Also, it is probably not something that could be changed by a backyard semi-mechanic like me. Would I have to take it to a professional, or worse yet, a dealer?

#2 ·
If you can chnge a clutch, you can change a flywheel.. A lighter flywheel will allow the engine to increase and decrease RPM's faster, but the lighter flywheels lose momentum quicker.. Torque is provided to the tranny by the momentum of a spinning flywheel. A statement made in another thread here "The torque it takes is the torque it makes..." (Credit to the CT user who first used this quote on CT).

First, what is the purpose of your truck? (off road, drag race, daily driver)
2nd, if you have a lot of hills in our area, may want stock weight.. if a lot of flat, perhaps the lighter one..

#3 ·
If you decide to go with the lighter flywheel you may want to check out LC Engineering, they recently started making parts for the 5VZ. From one of there recent newsletter.

#15-922 NEW! 13 lb. Billet Aluminum Flywheel - Tacoma 5VZ $366.98 $293.58
http://www.lcengineering.com/AugustSpecial.htm
Also to install it I would take it to a reputable shop, the dealer is very unlikely to do it. Afterall what dealer do you know of that is willing to replace OEM equipment with aftermarket stuff?
I suppose they're out there, but I have never heard of one. (Excluding factory hop-up equipment of course.)

#4 ·
I would also suggest to upgrade the clutch as well being that with that new lighter flywheel being able to wind up a hell of a lot faster you are going to need a tighter gripping clutch to catch it. Otherwise I would think you would roast through your stock clutch rather quickly.

#6 ·
My truck is just a daily driver, no hills. I have a heavy foot, and can never get enough speed. I kind of wanted to do something that not a whole lot of people in my area have done. Anyone can bolt on an intake, exhaust, or chip. Not a lot of people in my area consider the fact that the bolt-on engine parts aren't the only thing that makes a vehicle fast. I was just looking for something different.

BTW, I have never changed a clutch, and for that matter never worked on anything transmission related. The closest I have come to the transmission was replacing the starter. Is it a difficult task to change flywheels, will there be a lot of downtime? Any help is appreciated.

About how much would it cost to get a transmission shop to do it?

#7 ·
For both of you guys I would say go for it.
If you have no hills to be worried about and you aren't going to be hauling trailers etc there's nothing to hold you back.

3poin4Tacoma: Definitely let a shop do it if you've never done anything of that magnitude before.
As far as cost and down time it depends on your area and how much they charge for labor. Downtime would also depend on how busy the shop is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.