Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

08 TRD offroad taco clutch issue...

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  melon16 
#1 ·
So I bought my Canadian taco back in March and have put about 10 000 km on it so far....

08 access cab 4.0L 6spd 4x4 TRD Offroad Package

I've pulled 2 trailers with this truck with no problems---an open 2 snowmobile aluminum trailer (less than 2000lbs)
--and a 14ft aluminum boat trailer (less than 1300lbs)

after a day of fishing and no truck problems whatsoever including at the boat launch, I unhooked the trailer and tried to drive home.....

I shifted through the gears no problem until 4th...there was nothing there at all.

my friends and I pushed the truck back to my friend's place and called the tow truck.

My toyota dealership told me the clutch was gone and that it wasn't under warrenty....

so I raised hell and now all of a sudden its covered....

I have been driving stick for over 5 years with no problems...everything from 60's musclecars to dodge diesels to an assortment of volkswagens....

any of this sound right to you guys?

at around 2500km i complained to my dealership about the shifts not being very positive--slight grinding with the clutch to the floor going into 3rd---but if I was extremely careful getting the shifter exactly centered, I could stop it from grinding.

The dealership said it was my driving, but 2 of their mechanics, my girlfriend, and my father all experienced the same thing. anyways I've just been shifting cautiously since then (helps with gas mileage too haha)

anyways the point is I heard of some sort of clutch chatter issue on the 05-07 tacos....i never felt any chatter but could this be a similar problem? anybody else have any of these problems?

See less See more
#5 ·
When you say clutch chatter do you mean chatter as in there is a shudder when starting out in first because my 05 2TR-FE 5-spd pulls that shiza on me randomly. Ive tried asking around if anyones heard of this on here and I got nothing back other than my driveline is off and I need to shim it except not possible seeing how the truck is stock in the rear.

#7 ·
so it turns out the clutch was defective---the inner half of the friction plate broke free of the outer....

warranty covered it after i raised hell. the friction material was in great shape---i was ready to ask the service guy if he was high when i first saw it--but then he grabbed the inside and spun the outside haha.

anyways so have a new throwout bearing, pressure plate and friction plate. and they machined my flywheel....lightweight for the win haha.

im up to about 5grand just in parts that i've put on warranty....hope thats the last of it :brickknoc

--rear bumper rusted at 3000km
--diff actuator fried in locked position around 4000km
--clutch goes on vacation at 10 000km
--URD short shifter installed at 16 000km and LOVING it :headbang:

--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.