Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Cleaning your MAF sensor: Fact vs. Fiction

58K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  twizted1 
#1 ·
Only clean your MAF sensor when you SEE with your eyes that it is indeed dirty. There's no other reason to clean it. Don't clean it because you have a CEL and you figure that will fix the problem.

If you do see it is dirty and need to clean it, then use an electronics cleaner that has the following properties; leaves no residue and is safe for plastics. Make sure it is safe for ABS plastics. Many of the better electronics cleaners will crack ABS plastic. This is the plastic your MAF sensor, and the housing on the V6's is made from.

If your air flow sensor is dirty in most cases you will get a P0171 MIL. this code is for "system too lean Bank..." The system is indeed lean because the dirt or K&N oil that builds up on the air flow sensor is stopping the air from flowing across the hot wire.

If the air is not touching the hotwire then the ECU doesn't know it is entering the engine. The ECU is basing how much fuel is required on the throttle position, the MAF sensor voltage, and also from other feedback sensors such as the O2 sensors.

If any of that info from the sensors is bogus, (such as a contaminated hotwire) the ECU will see it and after it has operated out of it's programmed specifications you will get a Check engine light.

When it first happens you will have a diagnostic code that is pending and can only be seen with a scanner.

Feel free to add your $.02

See less See more
#2 ·
I've seen people commenting on how they use a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.....I'd highly recommend AGAINST that....sure it might (keyword there is might ) work, but the odds of [censored] up your MAF sensor are higher than if you just did the right thing and used the electronics cleaner....

#4 ·
I've seen people commenting on how they use a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.....I'd highly recommend AGAINST that....sure it might (keyword there is might ) work, but the odds of [censored] up your MAF sensor are higher than if you just did the right thing and used the electronics cleaner....
A lot of people will disagree with me here but if spraying the sensor down with cleaner does not get all the junk off and there's no alternative to having to actually touch the sensor elemetns then I would recommend using one of these. (see below pic) It's called an acid brush and it is made for just this type of thing. I work with electronic components and circuit boards all day long and it is what we use on very delicate parts.

Again, this would be done as a last resort before buying a new sensor.

#13 ·
I know this is an old post, many years in fact, but I had to add to it. It has been one of the most helpful posts I have found on all of google. I recently had the p0171 pop up and thanks to you guys I have it all fixed.

I used CRC Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner. Pretty cheap and works great. Many mechanics use it as well in my area.

autozone com/autozone/accessories/CRC-Mass-air-flow-sensor-cleaner/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=36011

Had to make an account to share this as it was asked about with no answers earlier. Thank you guys!

#15 ·
Can a MAF sensor go bad? I have a CEL code 170 or 171(cant remember)
Its been a couple years since i cleaned it but will try cleaning it tonite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.