Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Ibad transmission mount???

976 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rad 
#1 ·
When I come to a stop I feel a bump and shifter move foward. I recently replace the center beating and grease all the joints and still doing it more often. Any comments or solutions?

#4 ·
The behavior you describe sounds like the 'Taco thunk' - a commonly reported problem where there's a 'thunk' and / or a sort of shoving from the drivetrain when coming to a stop or pulling out.

The most common explanation for the thunk is binding in the drivetrain linkages. This is why the most commonly recommended remedy is greasing the **** out of all connections - especially the U-joints.

My guess is that the new carrier bearing is not cleanly fitting in with other components that have worn in to accommodate each other over the years. This may or may not be a clue that something's amiss with the new carrier bearing installation.

#5 ·
I experienced the same problem on my S-Runner when I had the clutch replaced years ago (before my SR got stolen!). The mechanic who replaced the clutch was convinced the transmission was bad, but I disagreed and later I discovered that he had reinstalled the center, carrier bearing bracket, upside down. It can be rotated around the axis of the driveshaft when it's unbolted and it's easy to get it upside down if you're not careful or observant.

Check that; I hope that's your problem because the fix is free and it's easy to remedy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.