Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

PLEASE HELP!!! 02 Taco 3.4

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  glassdoc 
#1 ·
I recently purchase a 2002 Tacoma 3.4. I bought it knowing I had some vacumn lines that needed to be re routed to stock configuration, I have gotten them all back to stock except for one. The one I'm having trouble with is the small hard line on top of the intake maniflod, I know it runs to the regulator on the side of the tb, but where does it go on the other side. There is that small barbed fitting that points upwards and right beneath that one I have another barbed fitting that is capped. I took it down to a toyota shop and somehow they can't figure it out because they say it's different than 2000's and below. Please if someone can help me figure this out I would greatly appreciate it.

#6 ·
Well, I think on your truck that does not get connected to anything.

It looks like you have the throttle by wire throttle body and on that you do not have the hold open dashpot on your throttle valve so it is not used.

I think you are all set.

G

#7 ·
Sorry I know this is a pain, in my last message I said I do not have the fly by wire throttle body. I had to pull that pic off of Google cause I'm at work. Work for me is about 75 miles away from home, 30 of those miles are rugged terrian, had to bring my wife's tdi up here today, she's gonna kill me lol once she sees her car as muddy as my truck. Anyways that's why I have to figure this out, expecting some good snowfall up here tonight.

#8 ·
Still might not be used.

On the older trucks I think there a vacuum line that connected to the throttle hold open dash pot on the throttle valve and that was T-ed to also provide vacuum to the 4x4 vacuum system. The later trucks did not use vacuum for the 4x4, it was electric.

So, if you have vacuum to your dash pot and your 4x4 works that hard line might not be used on your truck.

If you don't have vacuum to your dash pot I will bet one end goes to the dash pot and the other to the nipple on the plenum to give it vacuum.

G

#9 ·
OK well I'll play around with it, I do know my 4×4 works off of electric, but that's another thing I have to replace cause I have power all the way up to the actuator on the front diff but no engagment. This ended up turning into a nightmare, just bought the truck 3 weeks ago and of course no problems when I bought until halfway home and it all went south. Someone had jerry rigged a turbo in the back but must have taken it off and left everything alone so vacumn was all wrong. I do have one more question. The vent hose that comes off the back of the driver side valve cover and runs to the air intake, well something just isn't right. If I pop that off the intake while the truck is running it does nothing, all my other toyota I have owned that would almost kill the motor. Could there be something wrong with the maf sensor?

#10 ·
Actually, that metal vacuum tube stays open without a hose on either end UNLESS you have a manual transmission. Per the Vacuum diagram sticker. I'd have to look to see where it goes for a manual. But if you have an automatic don't sweat it.. Is truck running good or do you have a leak somewhere?

#11 ·
OK so just to add to the confusion here..
I just looked at an '01 5VZ auto 4x4
one end goes on the dashpot of the throttlebody (below the air inlet duct)
and the other end connects to a barb on the back of the #6 intake runner near the plenum

#12 ·
So should I just cap that regulator on the side of the throttle body and of course cap the elbow. It's a auto, it runs good now after all the stuff I've done to it it just still has a high idle and sometimes fluctuates a Lil bit at an idle. Just hate that it doesn't idle at proper rpms.
M

#14 ·
I'm not sure a 2001 setup provides guidance for a 2002 setup.

2002 was the year Toyota moved the charcoal canister to the rear and re-worked the entire evaporative emissions layout.

Here (attached) is a description of the 2002 model year changes.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.