Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

'04 Tacoma 2438cc DIY Maintenance

7K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Enola Gaia 
#1 ·
I'm new here but not to forums in general.

I tried posting but I keep getting an "error" message:
You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.

I removed all my "links" & started over with a new thread w/o links. Still no luck.....
I have a laundry list of questions that I have come across regarding DIY maintenance for the 2k4 Tacoma I just picked up.

Could I PM someone my inquiry so they can post here or to follow up w/ me.

And yes, I sent a PM to the moderator regarding this issue.

#4 ·
Here's the text ... :waytogo:

==================================

So I picked up my neighbor's 2k4 Tacoma Base 4-cyl this week as a daily driver. But he lost the Owner's manual.... So I've done alot of researching for parts & servicing.
I'm DIY'er which my neighbor unfortunately wasn't....
Which I created a "laundry" list to do [as you see below....]

So far, I've changed the oil & finally located the fuel filter [after an hour or so searching] which I will do today.

I found disconnecting the fuel filter as an assembly 1st is the best via the top rear near the intake manifold & driver's side fender behind the fuse box
Would this be the same for my truck too?
Since "I'm new" it won't let me post links yet.....I found a youtube video w/ the hoses still attached to the front/rear of filter including the bracket

Oil- Is it 5 quarts or 5.5 quarts?
Tranny fluid- Going with Royal Purple 75W90, correct? How many quarts though?
Spark plugs- Want to go w/ NGK [Summit Racing site] shows 6 different ones but I want to stay with either platinum or iridium, which one?
#7090 G-Power Platinum
#5464 Iridium IX
#4996 Laser Iridium
#2647 Laser Platinum

Air-box Mod: Simplest is just removing the elbow assembly that attaches to the fender, right?
[Refering to ONLY the LOWER box section] I was thinking about just drilling small holes between the "ribs/humps" to increase more air flow. Has everyone just did the front section or did they include the side of the box too?
Plus I was going to drill a couple of holes @ the very bottom to allow any water to drain.

Where can I order "caps" to ditch those ugly "silencers"? Or is there a part# to just replace that messy intake tube section only while retaining the filter box?

I was looking to order a washable filter & have read the K&N oiled air filters cause problems with the MAF on the Tacoma's.
So I was looking to go with an Airaid #851-205 "dry" synthetic mesh filter.
Does that sound about right?
.................................................. .................................................. ..........................................

Since I'm new, I can't post links to back up my findings....

.................................................. .................................................. ......................................

Lastly, I have a "check-engine" lite which hooking up my scanner reveals its an "O2-sensor", so I search using amazon, found 3 options for "denso" brand:
#234-9001
#234-4189
#234-4206

Bosch brand:

Which ONE?!?!

Lastly there is another "sensor" on the exhaust, all the way to the rear, just before the muffler connection BUT the wiring goes back to the cab & into the flooring. What's that one for?!?!?

#5 ·
(1) Manual or automatic?

(2) Neither the elbow mod nor the deck plate mod (air box) will do much beyond giving you a meaner sound. Of the two, the elbow mod is usually considered the better one (unless you expect to do any high water wading).

(3) What exact O2 sensor code are you getting?

#7 ·
I've read else where that it seems to be "a secret" when trying to cross-reference a Toyota part# w/ say Denso or any other part Mfr.

I found O2 sensor part# is 89465-0-9350 {Toyota Replacement#} but don't want to shell-out $120+ for it when I can get a replacement @ half the cost.

To me at least, that's what the OBDII scanner is telling me that basically needs replacing to clear the CEL.

..............................................................................................................................................

Power Steering Fluid flush & fill:

I only see two hoses connected to the reservoir, the small one should be the "return" while the large one is "supply/feed", right?

Due to lack of an owner's manual, I believe its just plain 'ol power-steering fluid?
Believe it or not, in my "other" vehicles, they use AT [Auto-Trans] fluid which I swapped them over to full-synthetic AT fluid. I was wanting to go full-synthetic with power-steering in the Tacoma too.

..............................................................................................................................................

I'd like to tackle these issues & I guess I will have to make a separate post to "tackle" the rust issues with the frame & suspension components.
You know, products I can pick up "over-the-counter" or order it thru Amazon.

#9 ·
So I decided to go with NGK Iridium IX plugs instead.

Part# BKR5EIX-11/ 5464

Oh, Get this- Found them on on Amazon for $26 w/ free ship; But I got my local Advance Auto Parts Store to price match PLUS they have a $10 cash REBATE!!! [Promo ENDS 7/30/14]

So in a nutshell, plugs retail $9/$10 each at Advance; Which @ the end I will get them for on $4 apiece! Can't beat that deal for iridiums!

Got them in my Tacoma [w/ new air/oil/fuel filters, clean oil, ditched part of intake silencer, holes in the lower air box, elbow removed & bunch of fuel injector cleaners]

Purrs like a kitten! Starts up quick & smooth idle.... :grin:grin:grin:grin

#13 ·
Thank you for posting and including the pictures.........
:waytogo: Your welcome :waytogo:

............................................................................................................................................

:nerd
RECAP:

2004 2.4L 4-CYL/Inline-4 2wd Reg-Cab/Short-Bed

Here's a part numbers reference that I have learned as I am doing my own maintenance on my Tacoma. I never could get a "straight" answer so I wanted to help others who may be going thru the same process in trying to order the right parts.

O2 Sensors
Denso
Front- 234-9001
Rear- 234-4189
Both are "4-wire" sensors

Spark Plugs
NGK- BKR5EIX-11/ 5464

Air Filter
[OE/panel style]
Spectre Performance- HPR6690
Airaid Performance- 851-205

Fuel Filter
Purolator- F45075

Oil Filter
Purolator- PL10241
DriveWorks- DW241

Aftermarket Shifter Knob
Thread size- 12mm x 1.25

Oh, one more thing- the cheapest price on O2 sensors I found was on eBay thru their seller ID "pautoparts".
I ordered both sensors from "pautoparts" which only cost me $110 with free shipping. Can't beat that price for Denso's!!!

#15 ·
Obviously the compressed air is for clearing out "debris" out of each spark plug chamber before each removal of plug.

Guessing the truck "head" is aluminum & betting these were the original spark plugs [10-year old truck], I put a little of the "penetrant" @ the bottom to initially "soak in" as a precaution.

Hoping that they weren't seized-in & I "pull them out" straight to avoid cross-threading.

It helped made the removal process much easier....

#16 ·
UPDATE:

Since my posting here is "very popular", either from search-engine "hits" or everyone is curious.
I hate reading gossip with no facts or details to back up. Especially parts related.

So here's more- this time shocks & brakes. Parts I used & work on my 2004 2wd 5-lug....

Shocks

Front- Gabriel #G63397
Rear- Gabriel #G63689

Brake Pads

Front- Duralast "Gold" #DG433

Brake Rotors [Directional Cross-drilled/Slotted]

Front Left- Centric/Stop-Tech #127.44108L
Front Right- Centric/Stop-Tech #127.44108R

Next, maintenance project- Manual Transmission Drain & Fill

Plus, tracking down all the parts to give the front suspension a "re-fresh": Hopefully new upper & lower control arms with new ball-joints, tie-rod ends and possibly new pitman arm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.