Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

DriveShaft/Carrier Bearing Help!!!!

27K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  ToyotaDrifter 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
2002 Toyota Tacoma v6 2wd Rear Locker 4.30 gears AUTO.

So few weeks ago I replaced my Center Carrier Bearing before I went to pismo. Bought it from NAPA for 120 I think. Came back from pismo everything was fine (No Clunk). Then just this week I have a bad Clunk when Backing up in Reverse Then Going into Drive or visa versa. A Loud Bang Sound happens when I go from D to R or R to D. So I went to grease everything on my drive line.

I Greased Up this thing till grease came out.

Grease Came Out From Here. The brown mark is where it was before. It MOVED. DID I PUT TO MUCH?

Then I looked at the Cener Carrier Bearing. It came off the rubber Housing.

Side Picture.
Looks like its been hitting. Center Bearing was lose before Greasing.

I just started to look at my Tranny Mount.

Did i put to much grease in that rear zerk? Because its causing the Bearing to come out.. Prior To greasing the Center Carrier bearing was lose when pushing up on the drive shaft. Now the drive shaft is Tight, Leaf springs are Positive Arch (before was Neg). I assume i need to get a new CB and Tran mount but i want to know if i put to much grease in or is this how it should be. __________________

Attachments

See less See more
#30 · (Edited)
It's probably okay to drive for right now if you absolutely have to, however I would pull the rear end apart and check the backlash and gear contact asap as well as just looking for anything broken.

this tells you basically how to check all the things you'll need to if you wanna do it yourself. You'll need a good magnetic base dial indicator to do this.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/files/TRD_LSD_manual.pdf

use the specs listed in the FSM as you're using the stock carrier.

http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/2003/index.html

Half a turn is still excessive play btw. Mine has maybe 1/4 turn and it's 100% bone stock with over 100k on the clock.

#32 ·
"fixed"

Update "FIX"

Problem: V6 Auto Prerunner 8.4" Rear With 4.30 gearing, No-Slip Locker

Sound: "Bang" or "Clunk" and "Ping"

Cause: The design in the Locker creates extra drive line slack from the Coast side of the Gear to the Drive side of the gear equal to 1/2 to 1/4 of a turn. ( Rotational Motion) Stock slack should range from 0 if perfect to 1/4 of a turn.

Fix: Change Driving Style with Auto.

Now when searching I came across many 5 speed Manual fix. They all say to ease up on the clutch. But I found that fix very hard to do as I have a Auto Transmission. So my fix goes as follows:

When wanting to shift into Reverse/Drive from P one must shift into N before shifting into D or R. Let it roll if it can then shift into R or D When Shifting from D to R or visa versa also use the Neutral before shifting into the other, also let it roll if it can. So far changing my driving style to this has Ended the "Backlash" created by the locker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.