Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Long Travel?

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Kyle 
#1 ·
hey guys, ive been wanting to go with some long travel suspension for a long time and finally got alot of money saved up and im ready to start looking into it more, i have read tons on desertrangers and everyplace else i can about long travel, ive read alot about total chaos and camburg and each one has its pro's and cons, but i think im gonna go with the camburg, and in the rear the 62' deavers with bilstein 5100's, i wanna get a bed cage with shocks but i think ill wait for awhile, do any of you have experince or know some people that run this kit...jordansrealm has it and looks like its holds up pretty good, i live in kansas but i plan to move to cali or arizona in the future but there are still alot of places i could have fun around here with it, my plan is this summer to drive to cali for a week and have a shop install it for me....sorry for the long post i guess i just wanna know if you guys have any opinons or tips on what to get and what not to get....o yes and i will have fiberglass fenders by then.....thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
Total Chaos and Camburg are awesome companys. Both will perform great. If you are going to run 62", ditch the 5100's. They will not do your deavers justice and you truck will ride like sh!t. They'll get hot and loose their dampening real quick. Save up for some 16" 2.5 shocks. King, Sway-A-Way, or even Fox's will work better than those 5100. If you want to stay with Bilstein, look into the 9100's. Also, if you really want to maximize the quality of travel in your rear, look into bypass shocks. They cost the pretty penny but will greatly inhance your ride. I just picked up a pair of King 16" 2.5 2 tube bypasses at $515 a peice.

Oh and about installing the kit... The camburg kit is a basic bolt on kit. You could do it yourself with basic tools. The only thing you may want to have a shop do is press out the upper ball joints and install the camburg cromolly sleave. You can rent a ball joint remover at AutoZone and do it yourself. It will save you $50...

#5 ·
just what up chuck said, DONT RUN 5100 with the 62's. You will just waste your money. That setup you are looking at getting breaks down like this:

front end : 3100
rear: 1100 for springs, shackle, and hanger, break line
shocks 350 a piece or more
bedcage: 800+ from camburg
fiberglass front: 300
rear: 450.......the list goes on and on.

If you PM me I will tell you what I am getting from another fab shop that just opened up

#8 ·
that esfab kit looks nice but a little more than i need, i like the camburg one because its price and ive heard its pretty damn strong, i wont be doing anything real extreme just messing around so i think the camburg would be good for me in the front, and in the rear i guess bisteins wont be the best bet for me what should i do? i dont wanna get a full cage yet, i heard camburg makes a rear shock cage.....

#12 ·
i fully recomend getting the camburg kit, total chaos is a great company, but camburg has decades of more knowledge. i have never herd one person compain about there suspesion, just good things. for the back definatly go with a 2.5 shock. shocks are what makes your truck ride nice, you would almost be better off buying good shocks for your stock leafs than runing new springs without good shock. but i really dont recomend that do it all at once so the setup can be done corectly. as far as shock brans i highly sugest fox's, its really just a brand loyalty thing but i love um, just dont run bilsteins, i have verd alot of bad things about them, i think everyone i know can at least all agree that bilstiens are [censored]. good luck. by the way i also agree about getting the camburg kit and putting it on yourself, just put it on, then have your truck aligned, they will double check everything when they align it, and it will only cost u 50 bucks instead of a few hundred

#13 · (Edited)
i fully recomend getting the camburg kit, total chaos is a great company, but camburg has decades of more knowledge. i have never herd one person compain about there suspesion, just good things. for the back definatly go with a 2.5 shock. shocks are what makes your truck ride nice, you would almost be better off buying good shocks for your stock leafs than runing new springs without good shock. but i really dont recomend that do it all at once so the setup can be done corectly. as far as shock brans i highly sugest fox's, its really just a brand loyalty thing but i love um, just dont run bilsteins, i have verd alot of bad things about them, i think everyone i know can at least all agree that bilstiens are [censored]. good luck. by the way i also agree about getting the camburg kit and putting it on yourself, just put it on, then have your truck aligned, they will double check everything when they align it, and it will only cost u 50 bucks instead of a few hundred
jerry and the guys at camburg make a wide range of nice products...but "decades more knowledge"...give me a break! Mike at ESB is relatively new but his suspension products are nice and they work and that's what counts. Total Chaos also focuses primarily on Toyotas and their stuff is proven...if you actually go to the desert, you'd see that most Toyotas run Total Chaos. I run their 4wd tacoma kit with King bypasses & coilovers at each front corner...it preran the Baja 500 a few weeks ago, some of last years Baja 1000, the San Felipe 250 and all the MDR courses etc. and it handles awesome and never gave me any problems through all the beatings in the desert it has seen.

I have friends with all 3 kits, and they're all happy. For 4wd owners, I definately recommend the Total Chaos kit because it's more 4wd friendly but the 2nd shock option is also a big advantage. Just all depends on how the truck is gonna be used, but they're all good kits.

As for mini Tacomas, the Camburg kit is nice. I have a friend who had it and loved it, but he just sold it and got the JDFab kit which looks really nice.

Attached is a pic of my truck with the Total Chaos kit and my friend Tommy's truck when he still had the Camburg mini tacoma kit while prerunning the san felipe 250 earlier this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.